Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Missed it by That Much!



Many of you know that I have photographed games for the Angels of Anaheim. At each game I hope to get the elusive double play photograph. You know the one, the second-baseman is leaping in the air as the runner slides into second trying to break up the play. Four things have to happen to get that shot:

1. There has to be a double play in the game. There isn’t always.

2. You have to be ready and already focused on second base. Which means you have to anticipate when it will happen.

3. You have to time your shutter to snap at the exact right moment.

4. You have to be in the right position to get the shot at all.

So here is my dilemma. I photographed the game this week. It was a great game, several homeruns including a grand slam. Energy was high. I got some great shots. Late in the seventh inning, the possibilty arose for a double play by the Angels. I got into position...I trained my camera at second...and I waited. Suddenly it happened! The runner went! The second-baseman fielded the ball, touched his base and leapt over the runner to throw to first! This was what I had been waiting for! I was ready!

And then the umpire walked right in front of my lens. As you can see in the photo, it would have been a great action shot, but now...not.
.

No comments: