Friday, December 26, 2008

My Sister, My Elf

I’ve been told that I am a good gift giver. That I somehow find perfect and unique gifts that are personal to the receiver, and it’s true I suppose most of the time. I am not a list guy, I don’t supply lists of what I want and I rarely buy off a list for gifts that I give. I enjoy the hunt, the thought that goes into getting perfect gifts as much as possible, but when it comes down to giving to people when I have no ideas, I whip out me cell phone and dial.

We all have one. That person you call during the holidays to get gift ideas for other people, or to find out what sizes you should buy for mom or the kids. For me, that person has always been my older sister. Throughout the year, she is my lifeline to the pulse of our family, keeping me in the loop, making me aware of the things she feels I need to know.

But at Christmas time, she becomes my own personal gift expert. She’s my crutch. Not only does she have to figure out what she is giving, she has to help me brainstorm. And I know I’m not the only one. Everybody in my family calls her for gift ideas.

Every year I call at the eleventh hour with one or two people left on my shopping list, and every year she comes through. This year was no different, a week before Christmas I stood in the store and dialed her number. She wasn’t surprised to hear from me. But this call was different. This year I didn’t need suggestions, all I needed were clothing sizes for the kids, nothing else. I stood on my own this year, I did my own thinking. But I won’t let it go to my head. Soon a new year will begin, and with it comes a new round of birthdays and other gift-giving occasions. I guess maybe I should put my sister on speed dial. Thanks Roxie for all the help over the years, and I don’t mean just for the gift ideas!

No comments: