Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Top Ten Christmas Songs

I love Christmas music. I have hundreds of songs in my iPod and dozens of CD's in my collection. I love the classic stuff as much as the contemporary. I can appreciate both serious and comical holiday music. I am a Christmas music fiend. a top ten for me was truly difficult, but the list below will definately put you in the mood.

Bonus: Daddy's Drinking Up Our Christmas by Diesel Doug & the Long Haul Truckers
Putting the 'Fun' in Dysfunctional

Bonus 2: There's Something in the Chimney: A CD called Twisted Christmas
Sung from the perspective of a five year old who realizes he gets to have Santa all year long.

10: My Grown Up Christmas List by Kelly Clarkson
Yes, I know she may well be the Devil incarnate, (Though I still think Quincy Jones has that title), she may be a phony down-home country girl, but give the girl credit for a phenomenal voice. This classic has never sounded better.

9: Frosty the Snowman by David Cassidy with the Partridge Family
Yes...THAT David Cassidy...I'm not proud. Many of you know that I have an aversion to Frosty on principal...the cartoon from the 70's remains the only one I won't watch every year. But this version of the song is not at all like the pop tune from the cartoon, you know...the one in your head right now.

8: Happy Christmas/War is Over by John Lennon
A song about peace? At Christmastime? Who'da thunk it?

7: Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Love him or hate him, Bruce stops down during a concert to spread some Christmas cheer.

6: Christmas Eve Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
This has got to be one of the greatest instrumentals ever recorded...if your heart is not pumping with Christmas joy by the last note, you are dead inside. Check yourself into the ER and see if they can find your holiday spirit.

5: Wonderful Christmastime by Sir Paul McCartney
Come on people...you knew the list would include Sir Paul.

4: Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
I know, I know, it is a classic and way obvious. But listen People, it's a classic for a reason. Peace on earth in your world and my world too.

3: Silver and Gold by Vanessa Williams
Remember Yukon Cornelius? He saved Rudolph and Hermey from the Bumble. "Didn't I ever tell ya, Kid? Bumbles bounce!" He sang this song when first we meet him. Vanessa Williams takes a corny kids jingle, and turns it into a beautiful, melodic dream.

2: Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins
When the singer/songwriter says the song is not a Christmas song, but the world disagrees, who do you believe? Any song that makes you want to spend time with your family can't be all bad. So please, celebrate me home.

1: Please Come Home For Christmas by The Eagles
Accept no imitations. This is the only version that matters. Bon Jovi did it, Pat Benatar did it, Dion, Vonda Shephard, Charles Brown, etc. All of them pale in comparison to this one.

No comments: