Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Peace

Lately the concept of peace has been on my mind. Not because of the war and whether you support it or not, but mainly because as I get older I find myself attracted to the idea that coexistence in the world does not always have to be violent and angry. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not naïve enough to believe that every country on the planet could or would lay down their weapons and exchange sponge cake recipes, but if you think on a smaller scale, your own circle of influence let’s say, how difficult could it be to choose peace? Change your mind and you change your life. Margaret Mead once said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has.”

I wear a peace symbol around my neck, not the bling of current fashion, but a simple sign that I believe in something greater than myself, and as a reminder that I can affect change in the world around me. I may not be able to make a big splash, but a tiny ripple can grow as it spreads.

Consider this, a child sets out to change the Sahara Desert, to affect it, and he is told that he is too small to change such a vast area. He replies, “All I have to do is pick up a single grain of sand and move it a few feet and I will have changed the Sahara.”
Think about that for more than a second and the enormity of it will strike you. John Lennon said, “Imagine all the people, living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. Maybe some day you’ll join us.” Can you dig it?

No comments: